Blogtober 2018, Entertainment, Music Monday

Music Monday: The Spooky Spirit

T-Minus 3 days until Halloween! This is not a drill, people!

In honor of the impending holiday, I wanted to share some of the music that gets me in the Halloween spirit. Funny enough, this post could alternatively be titled “Music Monday: Classic Rock” because no one evokes an aura of witchery like classic rockers, apparently.

Seriously, every song on this list is older than I am.

Let’s get to it, shall we? Continue reading “Music Monday: The Spooky Spirit”

Advertisements
Blogtober 2018, Mental Health, Music Monday

Music Monday – Let’s Relax

I’m still reeling from the diagnosis I received on Thursday. I’m feeling less overwhelmed by it, but even “less overwhelmed” is still pretty damn overwhelmed.

So, This week, I’m going to share some nice, relaxing music with you all. No lyrics to sing along to, this time.

Enjoy. Continue reading “Music Monday – Let’s Relax”

Blogtober 2018, Music Monday

Music Monday – Motivate Me

When I talk about motivational music, I usually mean the music that makes me want to get up and do something with my life. The songs that make me feel stronger and invincible. They’re few and far between, but they’re there.

And you can bet your ass they will give me a surge of motivation to get shit done… usually at 2am when I can’t actually get anything done.

But, hey, it’s a step. Continue reading “Music Monday – Motivate Me”

Blogtober 2018, Monday Musings

Music Monday – It’s a girl thing

In these hyper-political times, it seems like every move we make is a political choice. Even down to the food you eat–and I’m not just talking about you monsters who eat pineapple on pizza (I kid, I kid, you’re not monsters; I love you and your bad choices).

Music is no exception. Now, obviously, I’m not one of those people who run around saying, “I only listen to all-women radical feminist bands who sing about castrating men and creating a lesbian utopia,” although a lesbian utopia sounds kind of awesome. I mean, last week’s Music Monday was completely dedicated to the all-male band Imagine Dragons and I love them.

But, I have at times noticed that a lot of the bands I listen to are all-male bands or male-fronted and, while their music is catchy, it isn’t always easy for me to relate to. Of course, as an AFAB person, it’s easier for me to relate to bands at least fronted by women and AFAB people.

So, here are some of my favorite bands/artists featuring women and AFAB folks in the lead: Continue reading “Music Monday – It’s a girl thing”

Blogtober 2018, Entertainment, Music Monday

Music Monday: Imagine Dragons

Lately, I’ve been on a huge Imagine Dragons kick. This band has rapidly become one of my all-time favorites. I bought their first three albums (I haven’t gotten the chance to buy their newest, yet) and 90% of the songs just blow me away. Even the other 10% are still damn good.

Their lead singer/songwriter, Dan Reynolds, struggles with two physical illnesses as well as depression. A lot of the bands songs seem to relate to these struggles, particularly my favorite song “Monster” which really speaks to me in regards to how I feel about my own mental illnesses.

On top of that, the musicianship is incredible and Dan’s voice is my newest obsession. His voice combined with the band’s lyrics evoke a deep soul that is absolutely captivating.

So, to kick off Blogtober, I want to share some incredible songs from one of my favorite bands.

Continue reading “Music Monday: Imagine Dragons”